Thursday, June 19, 2014

The Rule of Thirds

For one of the assignments this week we were practicing using the rule of thirds.


The first picture is where I used the rule of thirds. My focus point was the window and I put it in the right third of the photo. This left room for more of the fence and ferns to be in the picture, as compared to the second picture where I centered the window. The first picture seems more interesting due to this positioning. 



I practiced this again with this set of photos. I like in the first one since I moved the hinge to the left the top corner of the window was in the shot. In the second photo it is just the hinge, but I think it works better than the other centered image because of the closer details of the wood and the bolts on the hinge give something else to look at.


4 comments:

  1. I think that the added fencing and greenery in the first picture really do work to add more interest to the photo rather than when the window is centered, you are apt to be looking at the bland boards on the right. I think what also helps with this photo is the way that the fence seems to draw a line to the window.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well done. I am psyched to see that you are providing multiple sets as examples, for this tells me that you have a whole bunch of others you have tried. Your photos, aside from the assignment, are very good. They are in focus and you have set the aperture and shutter speed so that you get an excellent value range. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You chose such fascinating subject matter. I am wondering what the window would have looked like centered through one of the rule-of-three lines, in addition to bordered by it. Nice framing by the ground greenery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures. I love the one of the window on the door. Even though it is the same door the thirds picture gives it a whole new view and interesting perspective. Almost eerie with the wood frame off the right looking like it is falling down and what not.

    ReplyDelete