Sunday, June 22, 2014

Composition Using Lines

This week I researched more about composition, specifically using lines in photography. I decided on this subject because I tend to notice lines in photos and see when they work well but I do not necessarily think about it when composing an image. Through the website photographyicon.com I learned about different kinds of lines.

Vertical lines in an image represent dignity, height and strength.

 Horizontal lines often represent rest, peace and calmness.

Diagonal lines elicit feelings of energy and motion. I have noticed this in pictures because often diagonal lines lead my eye in a direction quickly.

S curves are called the "Line of Beauty" and have meanings of strength as well as beauty. These are common in road and river pictures.

Leading lines in a photograph lead the viewers eye to the subject. For example, these can be fences, railroads and paths. Ideally, leading lines start in the lower left area of a photo, but not right in the corner.

I tried out taking some pictures deliberately choosing lines.

In this photo the horizontal lines of the dock create a peaceful atmosphere.


I thought the curved metal piece and broken wooden pieces created a slight feeling of mayhem intertwined with the familiarity of the white picket fence and farm.


I took this picture before reading more about lines and then notice how the black vertical lines on the sign create a feeling of authority, even though the sign is faded a low speed limit. I think this is a cool contrast.


2 comments:

  1. I love the photo with the chairs on the dock. You captured it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Photo # 3 - Feelings of authority are definitely at play here and I wonder if that is maybe why someone had the urge to shoot the sign 3 times in defiance. Excellent thoughts and even better photos to illustrate.

    ReplyDelete