Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Color Schemes

The first assignment of the week was to work on taking photos of different color schemes. The three different color schemes are monochrome, analogous and complimentary. The color scheme depends on what colors are present and where they lie in relation to each other on the color scheme.

For my first photo I focused on an complementary color scheme. This means colors that are exactly opposite each other on the color wheel. I decided to pick an object that is black and white because I think it makes it dramatic.

Analogous color scheme


The next color scheme I focused on was monochrome. This one was more difficult because I struggled with finding something that was just on color as well as would make an interesting photo. I think I will continue to grapple with this color scheme and see what else I can find. This is the photo I decided on however. I liked this one because of the different levels of the blocks of wood.

Monochromatic color scheme
This week I have noticed what an impact color can have on the photo. I will try to keep in mind some of the psychology of colors that we read about and see how it effects the mood of my photographs.

5 comments:

  1. Great photos again Liz. However I think you may have the first one labeled wrong. Analogous means three colors that are next to each other on the color wheel. I think you meant Complementary. Regardless, I think you took two very nice photographs and you seem to have a good eye and an equally good camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos are so interesting. I agree with Amanda that the piano keys would be complimentary but I still love the concepts that you came up with for the photos. I found it difficult to limit photos to only one or a few colors because so many things have so many different colors in them. I like how you thought to look on a much smaller scale to find the colors that would work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of the Amanda's have great observations here. Analogous is three colors next to each other on the color wheel, which your photo would be considered black and white, not even complimentary, for complimentary refers to the color wheel and black and white refers to the absence of color(black) and all colors(white). The monochrome is perfect with it's variations of yellow. Going in close is always a win, for you introduce the audience to things they may have never looked at, even if they were in the same place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the pictures of the piano. As a piano player myself I was tempted to snap some shots of my baby grand. Keep these great pictures coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your monochromatic photo with all the golden yellow hues. Great job!

    ReplyDelete