Saturday, July 5, 2014

Gimp

This week we have been learning the basics in using Gimp. In these photos I practiced using the crop, move and selection tools as well as playing around with using different layers.

In the first photo I combined two pictures, one of the dock and one of the sunset. I cropped the picture of the sunset and selected the portion I wanted in the final picture and deleted everything else. Then, I moved the sunset layer until it was showing above the dock. Lastly, I adjusted the color balance in both layers to help them blend more.


I decided to create this photo based on the funny personalities in my family. The original photo is of the person on the right. I then selected the other two people out of other photos and deleted the area around them. I put them on top of the main layer and set there to be an alpha channel so the background I deleted was transparent. Then I rotated them so they are all facing the same way and moved them. I also changed the layer size of the person on the left since it was much to large. 


The last picture is my favorite. It is one photograph that I created a duplicate layer, selected my grandpa and inverted the selection to delete the background. In the second layer I used desaturate to make it black and white. What is left is my in color grandpa layer on top of the black and white layer of the kids running. 


I have had a lot of fun with this and will continue to practice and maybe update this post as the week finishes out. 

5 comments:

  1. I love the last photo. The man in color and the girls running in the background away from him in black and white. It's a great photo. It made me feel like they were trying to get away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the last one, the contrast of such vibrant colors across the black and white is striking. I also enjoyed the contradiction of the younger people in b&w vs. the older person in color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the one with your grandfather a lot! I truly love black and white images with elements of color, I think they leave a strong impact. It totally looks like he belongs in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first one is very beautiful, if viewed from a little distance it looks like one photo not two put together. The third one of your grandfather is very great photo, one you should keep around for generations! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work! It looks like you will be a photo manipulation pro soon....Keep doing this great work!

    ReplyDelete